Saturday, November 01, 2008

Making copies...

At lunchtime yesterday, I found myself copying a copyrighted book. (I won't mention the book, I don't want people in dark suits knocking on my door.) I copied the book because I needed to mark it up for a think at work. It was my director's book, and costs $200, we didn't think he would appreciate my returning it all marked up, so I made a copy of it.

I couldn't find any of the office staff, so I had to do it myself. (Yesterday was the day it was ok to dress like a pirate, so I figured it would be ok to act like one...) While sitting there copying page after page, I was reminded of the time when I was 13(?). I had somehow gotten roped into working as the AV guy for night school at the high school. I don't remember how this happened. They paid me $2 an hour. This lead to very small checks.

The director guy of the night school would often give me some book he was reading, and have me copy a whole bunch of pages out of these books. (Like over 100 at a time.) I don't remember what in the world these books were about, or where they came from. All I remember is that I would sit there for a long time making copies of page after page, would wonder if the high school office staff knew their paper was being used for copying of the books. Then I would wonder why he needed a copy of the book. Then I would wonder if all of it was worth $2 an hour...

No comments: