Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pumpkin Carving Injury

This past week Emma said she still wanted to carve a pumpkin, I told her in the middle of the week that if she got her room clean by Saturday, I would help her carve a pumpkin. On Friday, Kate and Mary helped her clean her room, and on Saturday Emma made her bed. Pumpkin carving time.

I had bought a junky little carving set at the store before halloween, the little carving knife bent in two within the first minute of carving. I used a boning knife for the rest of the carving, which worked much better.

We used a little plastic template to make a girls face on the pumpkin. Emma seemed to enjoy it. At first she wanted to do the scarecrow template, but that one was rated "Expert", the girl was rated "Intermediate." For some reason, Emma wanted to take some of the insides with her to school, but I vetoed that decision and tossed all the innards in the trash.

I accidentally knocked one of the eyes out of the thing when I was trying to carve it, it still looks ok.

The injury? No blood. We had been keeping all the pumpkins on the front porch. When Emma went to get hers Lily was also out there, Lily took one of the little pumpkins and set it at the top of the steps. After dark, I left the house to go fill the van up with gas (Under $2 a gallon - Filled the tank for under $50...) but I didn't see the little pumpkin, stepped on it, and fell off the porch. My left hand still stung a little this morning, my right hand still hurts, my back is hurt, and my ankle hurts.

No comments: