Sunday, November 09, 2008

Another award

We had our annual ward Fall dinner this past Friday. (No Halloween activity this year.) If you remember, last year I won an award for my pumpkin dessert. This year people were supposed to bring a chili or a soup. Tara is co-chair of the activities committee now, and they decided (or were told) to have prizes for the stuff.

I decided Thursday night to work on the soup for the prize. The chili was good, but as a base, I used some chili I made and froze a month or so ago. (Tara couldn't tell I did this, so I guess I pulled it off.) I added some chicken wing sauce to the chili, not enough to over power the chili taste, but enough to just barely tell it was there. It was my little secret, but now you all know.

To make the soup, I started with butter, olive oil, 3 types of onion, and 3 types of bell peppers, I sweated these in the pot for a while until the entire house smelled like butter, onions, and peppers. I added plenty of spice, most of which I have forgotten at this point. (I was just tossing things in, not worrying about duplicating the recipe. Then I added water, beef bullion, potatoes, carrots, and spaghetti squash the pot and let these cook for a little while. Eventually, I browned up some cubed London Broil steak, and tossed those in. Then I let the soup simmer for a while.

It was very good soup. I was full well before we ever got to the church. Then I won the best soup prize. No golden soup pot, just candy. (There was no where near enough time between the decision to have prizes and the activity to think up with a 'golden pot' prize, much less find one...) I poured the candy out on the table for the girls to mow through. They seemed to appreciate it.

Not sure how to top this and last year at next years dinner...

No comments: