Sunday, November 16, 2008

The taping of the diaper

Lily has developed a habit of taking off all her clothes at night. I finally figured out why she has been doing this tonight. Quite often, we find ourselves chasing Ruth out of Lily's room after Lily has been put to bed. Ruth has differing reasons for being in there, tonight I realized the most popular reason. Ruth goes in there to change clothes. She gets the idea that she can go in and get some dress up stuff out, and strips down. Lily is just following suit.

The problem with this is that after Lily strips down, if her diaper is not a "clean canvas", she will take the diaper off, the diaper and contents end up on the floor. This is not a nice thing to wake up to. It's like "Monday morning at the monkey cages", not that I have ever worked at a zoo or spent any time with real monkeys.

One day last week, I changed her sheets twice, then got some packing tape and taped her diaper around her so she couldn't pull the tabs off. No tape on her skin, that would be mean, but just a row of tape around the diaper where the tabs are. Lily does not like this activity. Since I have been taping the diaper, we have found her stripped down several times, but the diaper remains.

Being the very polite 2 year old she is, this morning (or last night, they kind of blend together) I changed her diaper, and taped her up. She started crying about having to have the diaper taped up, once I got the onesie and pajamas back on her, she stopped crying and said "Thank you." I guess being taped up isn't that bad.

No comments: