Saturday, January 17, 2009

Restaurant review

Rice King
Downtown Provo

My friend Dick down the street has been trying to get me to go to this place for about a year. (He hasn't been trying that hard, but he talks about it a lot.) I watched the girls for Tara today so she could go off a day long library seminar thing. This evening Tara told me that I deserved a special treat for watching the girls, and I should go do something. I think she was just trying to get out of paying the babysitter...

I thought about heading up to Rocky Mountain WingShak, but then I decided while headed to the freeway I really didn't want to drive up there, so I stopped at Rice King.

I ordered General Chicken and Kung Pow Beef. I asked how spicy they made it, the guy told me they could make it as spicy as I wanted. Their spicy scale is 1, 2, 3, or 4. I told him I would go for a 4, he talked me out of it, saying 4 was very, very spicy. I went for 3. When the other guy came out of the kitchen with the food, he said "Extra spicy, enjoy." I reserved judgement for the tasting, since some people don't really know what spicy is.

It turns out that they know what spicy is. "3" was pretty spicy, getting lots hotter the more you ate it. I really liked it. My head didn't completely implode, but it was spicy. Tara almost could finish her plate, washed it down with plenty of milk. It was really good Chinese food.

They have a $5 lunch special. I will have to go back some time and try the "4", but only when I don't have anything to do the rest of the day...

No comments: