Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ride along

Drew got me out of the house last night to go on a ride along with him. Tara didn't want me going out to get shot at, which was a remote possibility at best, I think. The first thing he did was go on a call where him and another dude went to a house, then 5 other cops came to help out, because Drew and the other guy couldn't hear on their radios. The dude in the house they went to was drunk.

Then we spent some time trying to get a DUI. We have 2 bars on Center street here in town, things sometimes get kind of rowdy down there, by the standards set around here. Lots of cars pulled over, no DUIs. We found a kid with just a learners permit. Drew lectured him about not driving past midnight, and having a licensed driver in the car, and told him that what he really should do is call someone to drive the car home. (20 miles away.) We left, figuring the kid would just drive home, but an hour later someone else pulled the cacr over, the kid had called home and someone came out to get him. I guess sometimes people do listen.

There was a fight at a motel. As far as I could tell, it was more an arguement, more than anything else.

I have always wondered why that half mile stretch of Center street was 15 miles per hour instead of 25. I think I know a good reason for it now. Everyone has a hard time going 15 miles an hour down the road, and if they have no other reason, that is a good way for cops to pull drunk drivers over, because they will go faster on that road as well...

Anyway, it was interesting, but I was pretty tired for parts of Stake Conference today...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just didn't want him to do anything crazy like he sometimes has the tendency to do. Can you blame me? I still let him go.
Tara

Anonymous said...

a little excitement never hurt anyone...

Anonymous said...

Sounds just like a ride-along in New York City.