Saturday, January 03, 2009

Muted New Years Eve

New Years Eve seems to be less and less of an event here.

For Y2K, Tara and I spent the night in the computer room, watching absolutely nothing happen. (We did have a server with a failed disk that night, but it was unrelated to Y2K. I was not salaried back then, and made an extra pay check in overtime from Christmas through Y2K.) Farrell did make us have 500 feet of extension cord and plastic tarps ready just in case. I'm still not sure why he got the tarps...

We used to have pizza and wings for new years, but I can't eat pizza any more, so that little tradition is kind of gone. We are currently out of wing sauce, so no wings, either. (I ate the leftovers from Rocky Mountain WingShak the day before.)

One year, we just went to bed at 10pm. The fireworks downtown woke us up for a few minutes.

Generally we try to play card or board games on New Years. Last year we had Steve and Missy over to play. This year, we played Catan the Card game, and a new game I got for Christmas called Shoot the Moon. Tara let me win both games.

We watched some dude on ESPN jump 100 feet on a motorbike. That dude is crazy. At 12:10am, we realized it was New Years. That was it, it was all over. No fanfare. No fireworks this year. (It was cold and snowy out.)

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

No comments: