Monday, June 22, 2009

Book Review

The Bourne Sanction
Eric Van Lustbader

I read the three original Bourne books and Van Lustbader's first Bourne book all in the course of a week. I wasn't all that impressed with Mr. Van Lustbader's first book, mostly because I think of the change in writing style, more than anything else.

Three years later, I found myself sitting in an airport, with the two books I brought finished. I went to one of the bookstores, and saw this book. I couldn't really remember at the time if I liked the other book, but I got it because I had a lot of time on my hands...

This book was pretty good. I seem to have missed a book in there somewhere, the author alluded to stuff that happened before, but not in the books I read. It was fairly fast paced, had a couple of surprises in there that weren't too hard to figure out before the big reveal, and didn't feel all that labored to read.

Some things I didn't like all that much about the book: The author has seemed to abandoned the angst Jason Bourne had about his past. He sort of tried, but I didn't think it was there anymore like the origonal books. Maybe it was something I missed in the book I didn't read. There was a good deal of language in the book. The author didn't bother to tie up all the loose ends by the end of the book, he is writing another that picks up where this one ends. he even added a loose end or two at the end of the book. They had an excerpt at the end of the book for the next one, titled The Bourne Betrayal. (Released two weeks ago, according to Amazon.)

Anyway, it was an ok book, I finished it in less than 36 hours, not reading all that time. I was interested enough in what happened that I will likely pick up the next book and read it, just to see where it goes...

No comments: