Saturday, March 27, 2010

Basketball

Anyone got anything left in their bracket? Mine was busted a while ago... All I've got alive to the Final Four is West Virginia, which puts me squarely in 'Middle of the road" territory in the work pool. No bragging rights for me this year, again.

Today I went to the Elite Eight game between Kansas State and Butler. HP and AMD had bought a suite at the Delta Center for the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight games. One of the tickets trickled down to me, and I snatched it up. (People didn't want to go. Some weren't into basketball, but how often do you get to go to an Elite Eight game? I wonder if they would go if it were the Final Four... I certainly would.) Anyway, it was good for an afternoon of free basketball and free lunch. I'm not sure how I could have not passed that up...


Butler really worked hard the first half. They played some amazing defence. There seemed to be a section of Butler fans in the place, a section of Kansas State fans in the place, and then all the rest of us. For a while, most people seemed a little indifferent. (I was try to figure out who had more fans, K State or Butler...) After 10 minutes or so of Butler working really hard on defence to shut Kansas State down, and not having great success on the offensive side scoring, I think the Butler team won everyone over. (The AMD guy asked me who I was rooting for before the game started. I told him I was still rooting for BYU... I didn't really want Kansas State to win today...) For the rest of the game, most of the arena was rooting for Butler.

(Picture taken during the game. Turns out CBS digitally adds fans in before transmission. I saw a CBS technician after the game and asked him about it, he just mumbled something about the moon landing... )

It was a good game. Butler won, I wish them the best in the Final Four, should be nice for them to play those games in Indianapolis, I think they've got a pretty good shot to win it all at this point.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I think I could have a future as the Butler Bulldog. Look at this guy. I've got the body shape for it, and he didn't do a whole lot today. Sweet gig for him. (Maybe I'm just too used to Cosmo being all over the place and athletic...)


"Watch an Elite Eight game live" - check that off my list. Maybe Coach Rose will invite me to the Final Four with him next week. Too bad I will be in Houston for work...

No comments: