Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Conference Day 1

The first day of the conference, I had a full schedule. I went over to try to grab a piece of fruit at the meal place at 8:10, and was told in no uncertain terms that breakfast ended at 8am. End of story.

I ended up landing in one of the hands on labs where they were having trouble getting their machines to work. Bob had tried to do something funny in his image, and made the machines unuseable when he installed them Monday night. I sat with him and helped him with the Ignite commands to get the installs goin faster, without any intervention. (Bob was struggling a little to reconcile all the vodka he had drunk the night before.)

My presentation was at 1pm. I got no phone calls during it, thamks for that. The room was about 10 degrees cooler than anywhere else in the conference center. I had about 20 people there. It went well, I had at least half the crowd very interested and engaged in the presentation. (Only one person left, and only one person fell asleep.) I had a number of requests for my slides to be emailed. (About a quarter of those that were there at the end, which is the same general percentage as the very popular presentation I did several years ago, which they had me do a second time. I consider this as a good sign.)

At night, we went with the HP Certified people to Jimmy Buffett's margaritaville. The food was good, I ate too much. We left after we were done eating, right around the time people started looking like they were getting trashed. It turns out we missed a oncert by Jimmy Buffett himself.

After we got back to the hotel, we played Catan: The card game again. Tara one the first game, so we switched decks. (I took the red deck from her.) I won the second game, I right now, I figure the odds are stacked for the red deck.

I didn't sleep with my bi-pap at night, and woke up at 6am feeling kind of sick. Too much jerked salmon the night before. Even now at noon, I still taste it from time to time...

No comments: