Sunday, January 27, 2008

Arrg!!!

I don't think this is piracy, really...

Tara's got the little girls excited to 'read' the Book of Mormon stories book every day. (Kate is really reading, so she's reading the actual scriptures...) This evening I got onto ldscatalog.com to renew our New Era subscription, and poked around for Tara looking for Audio CDs of the Book of Mormon stories reader. They don't make them. They do have a audio cassette copy of the thing, but no CD. I ordered 3 copies of the reader for the 3 girls (we have one, but "you never delete your master copy"...) and one copy of the audio cassettes. Tara wanted to buy something off thinkgeek.com that lets you copy audio tapes to your PC. Our home teachers came tonight, one of them has his own recording studio, and said he had a cable that would hook an audio out from a tape player to your PC. He offered to let us borrow it.

We have a DVD with the Book of Mormon stories being read while the pictures from the pages go by. I was pretty sure I could rip the audio tracks off and create a CD from them, so I passed on the cable. (The cable just wasn't geeky enough for me.)

I am in the process of using VLC media player to play the disk, and stream it to a multicast. Then I open a 2nd VLC client, read the multicast, and save it to disk. Then I refeed the thing through vlc a 3rd time, and strip the video out, saving it to mp3 format. (I tried combining the 2nd and 3rd steps, but I wasn't able to watch and listen to make sure I was getting the feed correctly, so I split it into 2 steps.)

Anyway, at this point I have 8 tracks done. I'm not sure what the deal is with chapter 9, it didn't save the audio correctly a couple of times. Maybe my laptop is telling me it's time for bed.

When I get all the chapters recorded, I will make each one of the girls a CD to listen to as they read. You can't buy one from me, they aren't for sale. (Because that would be piracy...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's hilarious that the cable is not geeky enough for you...

Sorrel Jakins said...

Au contraire mon ami, if I show you my book and my casettes, that ought to establish me as a legit licence holder and therefore eligible for the Great CD Purchase. C'est la vérité, non?