Saturday, January 05, 2008

Game Time

Age of Empires

Dad, Dave, and I played a Free for all game this morning. The past couple of games we have played, I have had performance problems with my laptop.

Last time, I had the other computer logged into the work VPN because I had nearly 200 servers down at work. My laptop was logged into the Hamachi VPN. About a painfully slow hour into the game, I turned off the other computer, which seemed to help with the lag. My guess is that i could have just logged out of the work VPN.

This week, I started out by turning off the other computer, but still had some performance problems with my machine. It took a while for the game to actually start. After the game, I poked around, and my installation of Windows had 50% file fragmentation. I'm not sure how exactly this happened, but it was the worst I've ever seen. I have now defraged, we'll have to see if the game plays faster for me now.

So anyway, the game. We had a treaty period, I was up at the top by the water, and saw Dave with ships in the water. I thought Dave was below me as a result, so I went down there to attack Dave, but it ended up being Dad.

I roughed Dad's guys up a bit, then went to attack Dave. Eventually, and by eventually I mean something like 2 hours later, my never ending stream of dudes was too much for both Dave and Dad, I ended up winning the game.

1 comment:

jjp said...

Dave and I tried tonight, performance from my machine was good.

I guess I should have looked before I ran the defragmentation how many extents per file there were, and which files were fragmented...