Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sometimes I do not understand

Last month I finished a 50+ page detailed design document for a thing we are working on implementing here at work. One of the things project type people want to do with these design documents is to get signatures from the project stakeholders on the document. (I guess in the vein of "I agree with what has been designed" or something to that effect.) I got an email this morning from them asking if I was around to sign my paper.

I didn't understand why they wanted me to sign my own paper. It's not like I didn't agree with what I wrote, it was my paper. I heard the idea started with our Managing Director, or at least he agreed with the idea, so I talked to him. He talked about how it showed a point of consensus, and that sort of thing. I agreed to sign it, even though I still don't really see the point...

The good news is that the project manager agreed to buy us lunch for the next 3 days if I signed the paper. I had arraigned lunch just a few minutes before that through our office manager, who would have had the project manager foot the bill for the lunch next week anyway... Today we had spaghetti and meatballs, mostly because of a limited window between them saying they would get us lunch and lunchtime.

I ate plenty, but I still don't understand why I had to sign my own paper...

No comments: