Sunday, October 26, 2008

"We are not very smart."

Last Friday, I reinstalled my laptop with a different Linux distribution, mostly just for fun. I got it functional, but didn't bother to add all the bells and whistles, like wireless drivers.

This evening, I was minding my own business, getting ready to print out envelopes for letters to the missionaries out from our Stake, when I had a great idea: "Why not put the wireless drivers on before printing the envelopes?"

I happily went on my way, downloading and installing the drivers for wireless. Somewhere along that path of reckless abandon, I rebuilt my kernel and rebooted.

BANG!

No more Linux. Or more specifically, no more desktop client, network drivers, etc, etc. I will either have to fix it in the morning, or install afresh.

This is the problem with my having the root password for my laptop. On a server, I don't mess around. At least not on any servers that matter. But on my laptop, I am free to wander down paths that aren't exactly best for the optimal performance of my laptop, sometimes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! classic John Payne.

rob