Friday, March 25, 2011

Dinner and a Show

Tonight we went to dinner and a play with our friends, Matt and Talia. For dinner, we went to this new little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant in town called Laura's Kitchen. We had their carne asada plate. It was pretty good. They also serve tamales for $1.25 each, but only on the weekends. I asked if they included Friday evenings in the weekend, but sadly, they did not.

The play we went to was called "Persuasion". It was adapted from the Jane Austen story of the same name, and written by a high school friend of Tara's.

I read this on Twitter a week or so ago, I though of Tara:

Heroin is a drug;
heroine is a female hero.
Jane Austen fans are prone to heroine overdoses.


The play was about time travel, love once rejected, sailing and adventure, pretty people with mirrors, and had just a little bit of "Naval language".

That makes Jane Austen sound more exciting than it seems to be to me, having never read any of the books and only peripheral experience with the countless versions of the stories that Tara has on DVDs. As far as I can tell, they all have a lot of walking, some dancing, talking, brooding, and more talking. I don't know. But I love my wife, and I go with her to the plays.

Anyway, this one was well acted. We were up at the top of the theater, which is a change for us, we normally sit down on the front row, we switched our normal tickets to a different night. I sat right next to the production booth, which had a kid running it that seemed to be paying very little attention to the play itself. For a while, I couldn't really tell what he was doing, but I figured out towards the end of the play that he was running the microphones. He had a computer screen with the inputs that needed to be on in each scene, when it was time to make a change, a blue string of lights came on at his station.

The set was also pretty interesting. They had a large semi circle in the middle, which turned back and forth. They would rotate one scene, and stage the next off stage, when it was time, a little curtain went up, and the rotated the scene in.

One last thing. About two thirds of the way through, one of the characters falls and gets hurt. She jumped and crumpled to the ground. Matt busted up laughing, and made half of the rest of the audience laugh with him. I think it was supposed to be a serious scene, but it wasn't tonight...

1 comment:

Tara said...

He does love his wife and he tried really hard not to bust up laughing several times during the play. Good work!!