Thursday, March 17, 2011

Some things I never connected (or knew) until the last week or so

Dishwashers:

Sometime last week, I came home and loaded up the dishwasher. Having a dishwasher full of dirty dishes that won't start is almost as bad as a washing machine full of laundry that with won't drain or won't spin. (Or both) I would press one of the buttons on the front, and the dishwasher would display some set of buttons that had absolutely nothing to do with the button I pressed. The thing definitely didn't want to start.

After doing some research, lots of people on different forums talked about bad controllers boards doing this. I tried killing the power from the breaker box, but that didn't help, really. I found a site or two that talked about "showroom mode" for dishwashers. One that was talking about a sort of similar model as ours said that if you pressed the rinse button (which we don't have) five times in five seconds, then "showroom mode" gets enabled. They talked about hitting cancel twice in succession to get out of it.

Cancel wasn't really working all that much, so I started pressing different buttons five times in five seconds, followed by other buttons a couple of times in succession. I was able to eventually find the right permutation to get the dishwasher to act normally again.

"Showroom mode" - who knew.

Nuclear Meltdown:

For some reason, before this past weekend, I never realized that a nuclear meltdown involved actual melting. I'm not sure why. I hope things over in Japan don't get worse.

Something I read on Twitter, it made me think of my wife:

Heroin is a drug; heroine is a female hero. Jane Austen fans are prone to heroine overdoses.

The school thinks we have nothing better to do:

Tomorrow we have what I have been calling a "non-optional after school activity". Kate has a play for her class, they perform tonight and tomorrow. It's something about the Holocaust. (She also studied the Civil and Revolutionary wars this year. Not sure who picked that trifecta.) Last week we had the annual Kindergarten program one night. We got there early, but there were no seats. We sat way in the back. We couldn't see or hear, it's a good thing they don't change the program ever. We also have one or two choir performances coming up in the next couple of weeks. I don't think our kids are really over scheduled at all. They have Activity days, piano lessons, and choir. That's about it, but the school seems to think we should be over there all month. Parent/Teacher conferences are next week, but I'm not going. (It's better for everyone involved if I don't...)

Our gutters

I should have cleaned out our gutters about two years ago. Every time it rains, the shed floods. I started on Saturday, and filled out huge yard waste can, but only put a dent in 20 feet of space above the carport gutter. I haven't even started in on the gutter there itself. There is a Box Elder tree in our neighbor's backyard that makes a mess every year. Looks like it might take several more weeks worth of yard waste cans full of gutter debris to finish up. I don't want to really toss it in the garden, I don't want ten thousand little Box Elder trees in my garden later in the summer.

It's actually kind of hard to walk on two feet

I watched part of a robot marathon a couple of weeks ago. (I lead a wild life, don't I?) These little robots were walking around this track. Every once in a while, one of them would either veer way off the track or would just fall over. After they fell over, they would try to pick themselves up. If they couldn't get up, suddenly you would see 4 or 5 slightly excited engineers all gathered around the robot on the ground. (It kind of reminded me of the time on my mission where I hit a parked car with my bike. I couldn't get up, all the people around me were talking about the car and the bike...)

Anyway, at one point, one of the robots fell over and couldn't get up. 4 engineers came over, picked the robot up, and set it on it's feet. The robot fell over again. They picked it up again, it fell over on the other side. They picked up the robot and took it to the back where a table was. It was over there for a long time. Walking looks hard. I don't expect to see an army of robot soldiers marching through the streets any time soon.

That's all I've got for now

No comments: