Friday, March 18, 2011

Gutters

I haven't been up on top of the shed in a number of years to clean gutters and the top of it off. In hindsight, I should have. The gutters are a mess. Our neighbors have a big box elder tree that hangs over the shed and part of our back yard, and it drop tons of leaves and seeds every year. It wouldn't break my heart to see it go. Those trees also attract box elder bugs, which are all over the place with this tree.


I worked on the thing last week, at the bottom of the picture you can see spots where I had pulled debris out of the thing. Towards the top of the picture you can sort of see where flashing is bent upwards. My shed floods with water every time it rains now. This has slowly gotten worse over the last couple of years. I suppose it's mostly my own fault, for not cleaning our the gutter.

I cleaning up some, I found that the flashing was bent so bad, that it allowed about four inches of space where the shed was completely exposed. Add the leaves and stuff to it, and water must have just been flowing in ever time it rained. For now, I have the flashing bent back into close to the right shape, and used a brick to hold it down. We will see what happens on Monday or Tuesday when it rains...

No comments: