Thursday, June 12, 2008

Baby? Not yet... (No room at the inn)

Tara was supposed to be induced today. For previous inductions, we have scheduled the date, and the hospital called us very early in the morning to come in. (Like the 6am timeframe.) We expected about the same treatment today. We had a babysitter at the ready for the early AM (Missy and Steve), an afternoon babysitter (Tara's mom), and someone to watch the girls overnight. (Tara's parents house, except they were worried about having Lily, I was going to keep her tonight.) Here is what really happened:

I got up at 5:30am (2nd day in a row, not sure it really suits me.) to take a shower and get dressed. Lily woke up pretty quickly after that. We were waiting for the phone call to go in. I did a lot of laundry. I loaded the dishwasher and washed the load. Lily like to watch a show while she drinks her morning bottle, but there isn't much on at 6am, so I played Mario Kart Wii while she watched. (I know, the sacrifices I make...) I tried to feed Lily Raisin Bran, she objected and flung it all out of the bowl onto the tray. I had breakfast. (Grits and a fried egg) I went out and weeded the garden. At 9am, I decided to lay back down, since getting up early was clearly a mistake. At 9:20, Lily and Ruth decided I shouldn't be sleeping, and I got up.

I worked on the wall. I helped Missy and Steve work on their Wii Decathalon entries. (I think they are hooked now.) At 12:30pm, I called the hospital, Tara was #4 on the list, and there were no beds yet. They figured it would be a while.

The tricycles came, I put them together. Tara's Mom had showed up to babysit, we decided to take the girls up to her place then. Tara took them up there, I was still working on the tricycles, and watching The Incredible Hulk on TV.

When Tara got home, we got burritos from Costa Vida, and watched disk 3 of Ken Burns' Baseball. At 6:30, I called the hospital back, Tara was next on the list, but the nurse needed to talk to the doctor. The nurse called back, and said there was still not a bed, and the doctor wasn't sure she wanted to get up in the middle of the night if she didn't have to. The nurse was going to call us to talk to us when a bed was available. This call was at 6:40pm, right as Indiana Jones was starting, so we didn't go the movies. We decided to wander around for a while. We wandered around Macey's for a while, they now carry Anchor Bar sauce. (I requested it 6 months ago.) They are selling it for nearly $6 a bottle, which I hear is twice the price. Not a good deal when you can get it imported from Buffalo once a year or so.

We went to the Good Earth, which is a "Natural Foods" store. I was looking for sugar free candy bars. Macey's had one, but it was $3 a bar. The onyl thing remotely impressive to me about Good Earth was their little section where you can get different kinds of flours and rice and stuff in bulk. They have lots of different rices and lots of different grains. They also had "Meat Gelatin". Emma's been talking about meat jello for years. Now I can actually make her some real meat jello. (I didn't buy it this time.)

The nurse called back at 9pm, and said it would not be until tomorrow. She explained that they start calling at 5:30am or so, Tara is #3 on the list. If we don't hear from them at 7am, we should call and see what's up. Tomorrow morning I am supposed to be at Poll Manager training, I expect to miss it. The girls will stay at Tara's parents as long as needed, except for Lily, who won't lay down up there. Tara went to get her. Missy and Steve say they can watch Lily tomorrow morning. (Steve wants to play the Wii some more.) I think everything is still all lined up, except at this point, Tara would be coming home some time on Sunday, so I am not sure at this point what we will do about church.

It's really too bad for Tara, who has been expecting to go in today. It's bad enough having to sit in the hospital room waiting to have the baby, but she's sitting at home waiting to sit in the hospital room to wait to have the baby.

No comments: