Friday, June 27, 2008

Spending a day with Ruth

Today Tara went on a day trip to do a quilt shop hop.  She seems to like those things.  We loaned our big van to the ward for Youth Conference, so Tara took the Minivan.  Missy and Tara's Mom were planning to go with her, and Tara was taking the girls to her sister's house, so we were short 1 car seat.  I talked Ruth into coming to work with me to solve the problem.

We took Ruth's scooter with us, I figured she could ride it around the office.  In the morning, Ruth watched parts of The Tigger Movie, and did a fair amount of coloring.  We would have watched Shrek, but when we got to the office and opened the case, the DVD was missing.  Today was a "fun walk" on campus, which I had forgotten about.  Ruth did a fair amount of walking on it (maybe a mile total), and a fair amount of being carried.  I kind of hoped to have her get tired and take a nap this afternoon.  The wellness people that sponsor the fun walk gave her a balloon, and tied it to her wrist, but she was offended by the tying to the wrist, and make me old it.  After the fun walk, Ruth watched Doogle.

At about 2:30, she got bored and started riding her scooter around the office until she could tell I was not paying attention, and made a bee line for the door.  She started going down the hall a little and saying "Dad, I am all the way down here", then running back down the hall and into the office.  This was o, I guess, but the voice got quieter and quieter to the point that I decided I needed to go look for her.  She wouldn't stay in the room by that point, and I didn't really want to shut the door to bar her in.  (She seemed to like going out to the outside doors and hang on the crash bars for the doors.)  We ended up leaving.

Tara's little trip is until sometime after 8pm, so I took Ruth to Golden Coral for dinner.  She had a large variation of foods.  The waitress gave her another balloon.  I had a fair amount of the fish fry.  The fish was just the way I like it, crisp and brown on the outside, tender and flaky on the inside.  I did not like the fried liver pieces or whatever it was.  I tried a sugar free cookie, but it was hard as cardboard, if they are all like that, I will pass.

Afterwards, we were to Toys'R'Us to wander around.  Ruth bought a Disney princesses ball, (with her allowance money) got to ride in one of those silly little kiddie rides, and we almost won a stuffed elephant from one of those claw machines.  (I only on the only grab I tried, I had the elephant, and got it 2/3 of the way to the prize door, but the thing is designed to shimmy and shake on it's way over, and the elephant dropped back onto the pile.  It fell into a position that I didn't think it was worth 50 cents to try a second time...)

We came home, Ruth did 2 puzzles, then fell asleep on the couch.  I guess I can take going to sleep at 6:30pm as a fair trade for not taking a nap...

No comments: