Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sick day

I've been kind of sick for the last couple of days. Friday night I slept for something like 12 hours, last night I slept for 14 hours. I ended up sleeping through church. I ended up missing Saturday morning game time. Really the only thing I did yesterday was go to the baptism for one of Tara's nieces. (I took a nap after while people were talking at their house.)

Mostly its like a cold with lots of fatigue. I'd say it was the flu, except it's hard to tell if I have aches and pains, since I always have aches and pains. It's hard to tell if it's just allergies. As far as I can tell, I'd guess it was a cold with mild allergies. This afternoon, I've had some periods of standing followed by periods of sitting and lying down.

It might be the sick induced paranoia, but it seems like I get sick like this this time of year every year. Today is Stake Priesthood meeting, I missed it. If I remember right, I missed Stake Priesthood meeting this time last year because I was sick. Every couple of years, we are on a trip driving somewhere this time of year, and I always seem to get sick during the trip. (stuffy head, itchy eyes, that sort of thing.) Maybe I have some sort of biological time bomb in me that goes off the same time each year.

On Friday evening, I patched my laptop. I ended up updating the kernel, which broke the nvidia driver for the laptop. (An expected thing.) In the sickened haze I was starting in, I didn't get the thing fixed. I still couldn't pay the problem the attention it deserved on Saturday, the little time I had the machine on was spent in Windows. When I woke up this afternoon, my head cleared up enough to get my laptop fixed, which was good because I needed to finish the agenda for Stake Priesthood meeting. (I attribute the fixing of the laptop to the agenda problem more than anything else.) At this point I feel more focused, I think this has quite a bit to the fact that the Bishop came by a couple of hours ago to give me a blessing. (The blessing was a side effect of his visit, really.) This was good, because an hour ago, I got a call from Karl at work, he is oncall and had a problem he needed help with. I got the problem fixed, which is good because I think this problem has been happening for nearly a year, but they have been rebooting the server before I ever got a hold of it, so the real problem hasn't been fixed. I was able to find the problem fairly fast, which kind of surprised me at the time, because it wasn't something obvious, and it has been something that doesn't generate a log message. The fix for the problem was a piece of cake, just finding it was the hard part. (And everything makes sense in hindsight. I am fairly confidant that this has been happening a lot on this server for the past year or so.)

No comments: