Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Letters to Missionaries

When I was on my mission, I would get letters from the High Council of my home stake semi regularly. They wrote them every month, I would usually get the October letter in late November or into December. Once in a while, I would get 2 letters in the same mailing. I started thinking it was funny.

About 9 months ago, I suggested in Stake Presidency meeting that we could have the High Council start writing letters to the missionaries. I was asked to make sure it happens. (That's what I get for opening my mouth.)

We've been doing a pretty good job getting the letters out, at least until the last 2 months. The September letter went out at the very end of September, the High Councilman took a while writing the letter. This month, I got the letter plenty early, but he left town, I didn't get the letters signed until last week. I thought I was doing good, I had the envelopes prepared ahead of time, but I didn't get them mailed until today. The letters went out late again. Now I'm understanding what was happening when I was on my mission.

I realized today that getting the letters out late means I could end up sending a letter out to a missionary that might not actually get it, if the said missionary comes home the next month. 2 of the letters that went out today are for missionaries coming home in a couple of weeks, but they are serving State-side, so they will likely still get the letter. I have to be careful, we've got a number of missionaries returning in the next few months...

No comments: