Friday, October 26, 2007

Poll Worker Training

On Tuesday, I went over to the county building for "advanced poll worker" training. This is the kind of thing that if I had been doing it, we would have been done in an hour, max. The guy teaching it must have liked the sound of his voice, he kept talking and talking.

As part of the training, we put up a voting machine, went through the reports for election day, and took the machine down. Me and my partner started putting the thing up, and one of the parts was messed up. After about 30 seconds, I started looking at the part. It looked like someone had stepped on it. I ended up fixing the part, and getting the machine up and going. The guy came around a few minutes later, and was impressed the thing was working. 15 minutes later, some other people were still fiddling with the same part on their machine, he finally told them he had broken it on purpose to see what the workers would do. At that point, I started getting just a little ticked off. He also had another talking session after that.

This morning, I went to the "basic poll worker" training. I walked into the room, and the guy was teaching again. I went to sign in, and wasn't on the paper. Turns out I was in the room next door. The lady teaching there did a very good job keeping the pace going while making sure she was able to answer the questions of the people who were newbies. In an hour we were done with the slides. (It's a longer class.) She planned to have them spend a little time on the machines, but she let me go. Double bonus. I really have to say, that's the kind of election poll worker training I like.

No comments: