Monday, October 15, 2007

Rain

We've been getting some rain lately, it's supposed to rain tomorrow. They say it's good for us because the mountains get saturated before Winter, then in the spring, the melt becomes runoff and doesn't just stay up there, but fills the streams, lakes and resivours. We've had a few years of "drought" in recent memory, and people are always ready to blame it on one thing or another. (It couldn't be the fact that we live in a desert. That's just crazy talk.)

I didn't water my lawn all that much this year. It's definitely under once a week, more like every 2 weeks or less for the summer. We ended up with a couple of dry spots, especially in the back, and for a little while a couple of weeks ago, the lawn started looking fairly stressed out. Since then, we've gotten a lot of rain, and the lawn looks good. I will need to mow at least one more time this year. I think it helped that I kept the lawn longer all summer.

Anyway, my personal opinion (on global warming at least) is that yes, we as a civilization are having an impact on weather, but I don't think it's as pronounced as people would want to believe. The Earth is just in a cycle of warming. It's not like it's currently as warm as it will be when "the elements shall melt with fervent heat", at least not yet. I'll call it global warming then. And maybe that's what it will take for Tara to not feel cold.

No comments: