Thursday, August 17, 2006

Intramural College Bowl

Back in the day Rob and I had an intramural college bowl team. The school's extramural team ran the show. (Earl got us going on it.) Basically it was Rob and I and whoever else we could get would go play against other teams. We would get Jonathan, Russ, Christine Brinton, or whoever we could.

Every once in a while, I would start to think that we had something going. We would get the right mix of people together and win a match or two. Then we would have a session where the other team didn't show up for the match. This is where things started to fall apart. To give us something to do, we would end up playing Earl or Ken. Earl was interesting to play. He would answer a bunch of questions right, but then fess up that he knew some of them from reading them before. Ken was different. Ken would just flat out smoke us. No ifs, ands, or buts. If there was any ego going in, it got ripped out, torn up, and stomped on before you left.

Anyway, the only reason for the reminiscing is that recently I signed up for Ken's weekly trivia quiz. The first week I got 0 out of 7. (In my reply with the answers, I told him that my guess was that I went 0 for 7, Ken's reply was simply "Now you're 1 for 8!" Hilarious.) Last week I went 2 for 7. I'm not sure about this week, I know I got at least 3 right.

Keeping the ego in check every once in a while is a good thing, right?

No comments: