Thursday, March 22, 2007

Book Report & "The play is the thing..."

Hamlet
William Shakespeare

Tonight we had tickets to see Hamlet up on campus. It had been something like 15 years since I had read Hamlet, so I decided to read it again to be ready for the play. It turns out that I understand it lots better than when I read it as a teenager. Maybe is was the fact that I wasn't being forced into it, maybe I just have a bigger vocabulary now. I don't know. After we got home from the play, I gave Tom the book to read, but I think he was just humoring me.

The play was good. They kept things moving, they would have one scene going on one part of the stage, and another sitting queued up on another. They also jumped around in the play just a tiny bit to break up some of the really long scenes.

Both the book and the play were in black and white. The guide for the play said they put everything in blacks and whites, and people wore red if they were hurting Hamlet in some way.

The play and the book both ended the same, everyone died.

After the play, we saw the Frandsens. One of the boys was saying something like "He made a good 'Omlet. He's a good egg. I want some more 'Omlet."

No comments: