Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hey, Quasimoto, where have you been?

So, I've been kind of busy lately. The places I've been: Work, Church, and Home. (Quite possibly in that order...)

We have this project at work that's eating up the bulk of my time. We have a deadline of April 30th, I hope it's done by then, but I'm really not holding my breath too much right now, it looks like we are running behind in a couple of areas. (The areas I have direct control over will be ready, at least.)

Every semester for priority registration (student with more credit hours get to register first, the University's way of trying to get them out of here), they base the day you can register on the number of credit hours you have. This is done on the fives: 125 hours, 115, 105, 95, etc. This is not an even distribution all the way through the process. Last time, we had one day where 4500 new people could register, the next day, only 250. This doesn't do nice things to the web servers. I've been reporting this for a number of semesters, including performance graphs to show that we are not handling the load we get on those heavy days, so far, no one on the business process end of things appears to be listening. I looked a couple of days ago, and priority registration is again on the 5's. I haven't really wanted to go look and see the distribution yet, I'm hoping that if I ignore it the whole problem will go away. In about a week I will be setting up my charts to be ready for another round of reports on how they can better spread the load. Hopefully by the time the girls are in school, they will have a more even distribution set up. (It's a goal...)

About a week and a half ago, I was talked to one of the guys on our team. He had been my student, we hired him on a 1 year temp position. He was telling me about this company in San Antonio that kept calling him get him to come down to interview for a job. He had interviewed while he was still a student employee, but he didn't take the job then. I told him he should go talk to them, now that he had more full time experience, (and an HPUX certification that I made him go take the exam for over Christmastime) and it was possible that they would offer him better money than the last time. His comment was that he might take a Friday off sometime and go down there. The first part of last week, he had a really bad on-call. The end of last week, he went down and talk ed to the company. He accepted their job offer this morning. They had made him an offer he couldn't refuse. There are mixed feelings about it in my office, I think at least one person was made at me... The way I figure it, is that he had to do something in the next 6 months, either here or elsewhere, or he was out of a job anyway. I don't think it's a bad thing that he's going out into the workforce, we'll have to work more, possibly, but it's good for him. Of course, in 6 months he could be laid off, and cursing me out, but that's ok too...

Non First Time Visitors know that I used a bad penny as part of my NCAA Basketball bracket. (First time visitors keep reading.)

On Friday/Saturday, I worked on the retaining wall for my garden. I put in 5 feet of foundation and 2nd layer stone. My landscaping shovel is falling apart. I am also out of stone. I forgot to look at the stone place as I drove past it today. There is hope of my finishing it this year.

I reinstalled my laptop on day last week. (Ok, so just an hour) I have spent a few minutes here and there tweaking the thing. (I went from SuSE 10.1 to Fedora Core 6) Last night I installed games. This morning I set up my email. (Now you know where the priorities are...) FC6 seems pretty nice, and it eliminates the worst problem I had with SuSE 10.1, which was Evolution crashing when I deleted email out of my exchange account. (SuSE 10.2 might have also had that fix, but for now I'm sticking with FC6.)

I gotta go.

No comments: