Monday, March 12, 2007

March Madness (OK, borderline insanity)

On Sundays, I have the girls pick numbers, from 1 to 4, for bathtime. I usually mix up the order so that it keeps them on their toes about who goes in what order. On Sunday, I tossed #1 & #4 in together, and #2 & #3 in together, tourney style...

Today I filled in a bracket for the annual work contest. (The prize, bragging rights for a full year.) After filling in the bracket, I started thinking about the bracket. Then I decided to line up 6 brackets, like the cards you'd see in front of a little old lady in a Bingo hall. (I don't think I know any bingo playing old ladies, right? Tara tells me I missed a Sunday School lesson recently where they talked about trying to not give offense to people. When referring to myself, I sometimes say "The patient is rejecting the transplant"...)

Anyway, after the work bracket, I created a "Coin Flip" bracket. It had several 16 seeds going to the Elite Eight. I guess that is what happens when you flip coins.

The 3rd bracket involved something I called "Seed difference less than 8, take the underdog." Meaning 5 vs 12, take the 12; and 8 vs 9, take the 9. It turns out that there were 16 upsets in the 1st round, then all the higher seeded teams won after that. The final 4 was the 4 number one teams. Not all that interesting of a bracket, really.

For the 4th bracket, I created a bracket that had BYU, Maryland, UCLA, and North Carolina all make the final four. (The winner? BYU over Maryland. Sorry Darren.)

While thinking about the 5th bracket, I decided that the coin flip really didn't do much for giving the higher seeded teams any advantange. I decided to do another randomization, with a bit of a weight to it. I created a table of 32 random numbers 1 to 16. If the seeding was separated by 7, like the 5-12 seed game, I used the 7, with 11 to 5 odds. If the random number was 8, the higher seeded team was picked. If the number was 13 (above 11), the underdog was picked. By this time, as you can see, I had too much time on my hands.

(Sorry about the blank space here. I'm not sure what I did to end up with it.)


































15 - 15 to 17 - 11 to 5
14 - 15 to 16 - 10 to 6
13 - 14 to 25 - 10 to 6
12 - 14 to 24 - 9 to 7
11 - 13 to 33 - 9 to 7
10 - 13 to 32 - 8 to 8
9 - 12 to 41 - 8 to 8
8 - 12 to 4




I think the "Random #" bracket turned out fairly interesting, and I would have used it had it not gotten 15th seeded North Texas into the Elite 8... (Click on the bracket to see it closer.)

Having created 5 brackets, I needed just one more to fill out my Bingo slate. I decided to combine the brackets into one. (2.5 with non-forced picks by me, 2 in different types of random picks, it could happen, right?) For this 6th bracket, I took the team picked most often in that slot from the other 5 brackets, and used them. If it was a tie, I took the higher seed. (Several slots ended up with just one available vote, several were tied at one.) I think the results were pretty good, and posted it on the work pool as having been done by the girls. I will let you know if they win.

3 comments:

Pro Payne said...

I had the same blank space problem when I posted my last blog. I tried to insert a table to line up the images, but just before the table tag, it would always display with that white space. I finally took the table statements out and aligned the images right and left.

Must be a Google bug of some kind.

Mom said...

Where do you get the time to do this kind of stuff?

jjp said...

Tara went to the store with her Mom and the girls on Monday night, I was at work until she got done at about 8pm, so I kept myself busy...