Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Starcraft 2

I was oncall, and down in the data center all day. The Ops guys couldn't stop talking about the thing this morning. (I'm glad it was a slow day for them, even if I stayed busy...)

Anyway, I guess Starcraft is still huge in Asia. They have game play conventions and all kinds of stuff. They announced the sequel at a starcraft playing convention last week.

I didn't like Starcraft all that much. The biggest reason was the color schemes they had on a lot of their maps. I had a hard time seeing things, I ended up having to always completely and totally mess up the color settings on my monitor to play the game. One of the guys in the apartment complex (Heisiuki Watanbe) absolutely loved to play. He would be at my apartment at all hours playing the game, rotating through different people. (I think he was here in the ESL program, so his class schedule wasn't heavy, really, but I'm not sure.) I would sometimes come home at 2am, he would be playing, and would be ready to play me for a little while. By then, I think he had been playing for 6 or 8hours sometimes.

Anyway, it doesn't look like there is anything radically different about the new version. Better graphics, a few more types of characters, that sort of thing. It doesn't look like the overall color scheme has changed. Also, I didn't like the Zerg civilization. They were basically bugs.

Anyway, my very early review: I'll pass.

No comments: