Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Visiting the Pulminologist

Yesterday I decided it was time to stop ignoring the bad cough I have had for the past 3 weeks, and go see someone about it. It always got worse at night, Tara doesn't like it at all.

Anyhow, yesterday, I called my doctor's office. The scheduling lady told me I could get in to see him in 3 weeks. I didn't want to wait 3 weeks. She offered to let me see the new PA. I asked about the new PA, she said something about the fact that if he didn't know something, he could give a referral. I got ticked off and declined the appointment.

I asked around at work, Dave P had a doctor he liked around the corner from work. (A witch doctor, I suspect.) That office offered to let me in to see him in 7 days, which was a better offer, but not quite good enough. (But I might still think about switching to that guy.)

Anyway, I talked to Drew, he suggested I go see the pulminologist that got him straightened out a few months back. I called over there, they had an opening for today, which was the best offer I had so far, so I took it.

I went in today, the first thing they did was a spirometry test. The technician said I had a very large lung capacity, and asked if I was a swimmer or a runner. My thought was "Do I look like a swimmer or a runner?", but my response was "no." The test didn't show any asthma symptoms. (In fact, the tech thought the results were very good, even if I still had a cough to go with it.

When the doctor came to poke me, she looked at the test and started talking about lung capacity also. I told her I had a BiPap, and it was set to 11.5 over 9. She was sort of impressed. (And it sounds like they do sleep apnea stuff there also, so she was curious about where I went, who ordered the tests, that sort of thing.) Anyway, I guess what we are saying here, is that I'm either full of hot air, or a big windbag.

The doctor thinks I have acid reflux, like Drew. She gave me a prescription for the same medicine that's been helping Drew out.

She also gave me a thing that listed the different types of things that could help stop acid reflex. My list of things to do:
  • Elevate the head of my bed 2-6 inches - I'm not sure I want to sleep uphill, but we'll see.
  • Avoid certain types of foods: spicy and fatty foods, tomato and citrus juices, chocolate, and colas. I'm OK with the chocolate and juices, but I wonder what's left when you leave out the spicy food, fatty food, and Dr. Pepper. (Sounds like my potato and rice diet.)
  • I'm not supposed to lie down for 2 hours after eating or drinking. I guess my 11pm dinners are now out of the picture.
  • Eat smaller meals - I plan to start using one of Ruth's plates. I guess "mass quantity meals" are out of the question.
  • Lose weight. She actually circled this one. Then she made out a referral for me to go see a dietitian. Then she told me I should really lose some weight. I'm sure she didn't say that to Drew...

No comments: