Thursday, May 31, 2007

Work gets in the way

On Tuesday, we found some pretty catastrophic issues.

One of my servers, that runs batch processing, which I have been trying to get people off of for more than a year and a half, passed away on Tuesday. I spent several hours trying to get it running, to no avail. (Disk failure)

There were a number of people impacted by the fact that the box wasn't there anymore, but so far this week, I have had a hard time being sympathetic. I have been telling them to get off for a long time, and finally they got the proper motivation. I did have someone in my office foaming at the mouth about the fact that something wasn't working, and he was supposed to leave on vacation in 2 hours, but he was #6 in line at that point, which I think got him more worked up. I had another person that it took 2 days for it to sink in that the machine was not coming back, I couldn't copy his files from the old box, and he put his stuff in the wrong spot, so we didn't have a backup of it. Fun for him.

Over the weekend, we discovered corruption in the redo logs and archives of a large number of our databases. We also had 2 applications on other boxes with corrupt data. All signs point to the old SAN they were running on having a problem, but the HP SAN guys are still scratching their heads trying to figure out what happened. This SAN was slated for mothballing later this year, I have been working this week to move things off. It takes a long time to move so much data.

Long boring work rant over.

No comments: