Monday, August 04, 2008

It Lives!

Drew came over this morning to get me motivated to fix the truck. (He wanted to help so that Steve and Missy didn't rent a Uhaul for their relatively small apartment of stuff this weekend when they move.)

Drew looked at fuses, but didn't get anywhere because the ignition fuse was covered over. I figure it's a plot to sell more of them. We fiddled with the cables to the starter for a little bit until the point that I nearly shocked myself.

After that, we disconnected the battery and took the starter off. It was heavier than it looked, but came out very easily. At least easily when there were 3 or 4 hands doing it. Having the truck lifted off the ground would have made it even easier, and if I had been doing it all by myself, I would have underestimated the weight of the starter, and likely would have tore some cable letting the starter down off the truck. As it was, I held the thing while Drew disconnected the cables.

We took the starter down to AutoZone to get tested. It failed, of course. In a fine display of salemanship, the kid went back to the shelves, got the replacement starter, and put it on the tester to show that it worked. (It was kind of interesting to hear the starter fire up in that little machine.) The new starter cost $60, and we got it back in without incident.

The drivers side tire was a little low, and the truck was in desperate need of a washing from sitting under the tree so long. I took care of both of these things, the truck is ready to roll again... (Thanks Drew.)

No comments: