Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Olympics - an update

AKA - what else I have seen so far...
  • Is it just me, or are there a lot of world records being broken this year in the swimming events? I don't know how many races I have watched, but I have seen a number of them broken. The Men's 4x100 freestyle race was pretty impressive. (Not just the finish, but the number of teams that were so far ahead of the world record.) The look on the trash talking French team's face was priceless. Tara didn't let me call her brother after that one. The U.S. already has 8 medals in swimming alone.
  • Bob Costas thinks he is so funny. (I know this is not new.)
  • When the Cubs are down by 8 runs, it makes it easier to watch more of the Olympics, and less of baseball. This is what happened yesterday, the Cubs came back and won again today.
  • The Equestrian events are not all that exciting without some sort of commentary to go with it. (It's wholly possible that equestrian events are not all that exciting with commentary, but I didn't watch it with commentary.)
  • Why is it that indoor volleyball is always broadcast on TV at midnight? This is what they kept doing last time too. Ryan Millar was sort of in our ward (half the year, anyway) 4 years ago when they were in the Olympics, I always stayed up to watch those games. He's back on the team, they came in late last night. I fell asleep in the middle, just like I used to do 4 years ago. (They ended up beating Venezuela, but I only watched about 1.75 of the 5 matches they played.)
  • Handball is not a game similar to racketball, at least not in the Olympics. It appears to be something of a cross between soccer/lacrosse and basketball. I need to do more research on this, I only spent about a minute or two on it. Stay tuned.
  • It's early yet this year, but I always compare the US medal count to their medal count from the 1984 Olympics. That is the first Olympics I remember. I remember sitting on the floor in the house in Buffalo for a long time just watching race after race. It seemed like the US won everything. (They pretty much did, since the USSR and all the Eastern Bloc countries boycotted, but I didn't know that at the time, and was enthralled by the thing.) Every Olympics since then, I start thinking about how different it was in the 1984 LA summer games. I guess I always will, even if I know the reason why things were different all that time ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_handball

rob

Mom said...

I just have to take exception with the remark regarding Equestrian events. I find them very exciting. Did you see those horses in the Dressage? They were magnificent.

jjp said...

I didn't see the Dressage, and don't even know what that means. All I know is it was missing something without the commentary...

Handball is like Water Polo, but without the water, or the funny headgear.