Saturday, August 09, 2008

Sleep deprivation testing

NBCOlympics.com has a schedule for the Olympic events, including television and internet feeds of different sports. Up at 1:30 in the morning? Watch rowing live online. (Windows and Mac only. Discrimination!) We have fencing and handball starting at 5am. NBC is all Olympics during the daytime this weekend.

I have to say, rowing really needs a commentator during it. I'm not a fan of commentators who just talk because they enjoy the sound of their voice, but the online feed is just a feed, with no bells and whistles. You end up with 6 or 7 minutes of rowing. Followed by 6 or 7 minutes of rowing. Then another 6 or 7 minutes of rowing. No talking. The only break in it was when one of the heats had a boat where the little number and sensor fell off before the heat started, and 2 dudes had to reattach it. Then another 6 or 7 minutes of rowing.

You would think I would get bored of this and stop watching it, but I haven't. I have watched heat after heat. I'm thinking about watching everything. (Sleep can wait for later, right?) I need to find a spare machine at work, so I can have Olympic events going on it under Windows, while I run Linux on my laptop. (I am assuming streaming events through VMWare, which I don't currently have installed, will have similar performance problems on VMWare workstation as MLB.com or Netflix streaming has...)

The US guy got worked in his heat. He was in first at the midpoint, but must have run out of steam. I hope this isn't a spoiler. (You could have watched it live, you know.) One other thing interesting about single skulls: They have a path on the bank by the race. Every heat had a dozen or two people on bikes running along side the guys that were rowing. Are these just Chinese citizens? Coaches? Scouts? Reporters?

No comments: