Sunday, November 12, 2006

Payback for my having him give the prayer at the last Stake Bishopric's Training meeting...

The Bishop came up to me today to ask if I would be in town on Christmas Eve. I said yes, then tried figuring out what day Christmas Eve was. I said "Why, is that a Sunday?" His response was that it was, and he had a little glimmer of a smile on his face. I told him that one of the reasons I hadn't spoken in church for a while was that no one was exactly sure what I would say from the pulpit. It also helped for a while that I was the Ward Clerk, and anytime that they were talking about looking for speakers in Bishopric meeting, I would always be sure that I left them with a couple of names, not my own.

If he ends up asking me to speak, I wonder how many people will be there. There could be only 30 people there, 6 of them us... (Or 7 by then, but I didn't say anything to the Bishop about Tara being due to have a baby that week. No sense making it look like I'm trying to get out of it or anything, since it wouldn't influence his decision any....)

I'll keep you posted as developments occur....

3 comments:

Harvey said...

Hi John!

It's been a long time - and you knew me by a different pseudonym.

I was glad to find your blog: too many of my friends from then wandered off into strange paths and mists of darkness.

Congratulations on the impending birth of your 5th daughter.

And I still need to beat you in chess sometime.

jjp said...

Hey, I haven't heard from you in a very long time. (Your brother was in our ward after we got married, but that doesn't really count.)

How are things? We like the pseudonyms.

Thanks for stopping by, come back again. (For those not in the know, this nearly anonymous poster is M.H., who has a brother M.H., and another brother M.H., if that helps...)

Mom said...

Hey, I could send the bishop a transcript of your farewell sacrament meeting prior to your mission.... that might detour him.