Sunday, November 12, 2006

The seizure is over

Our garbage disposal broke about a week or so before our trip to Phoenix. I have spent a fair amount of time trying to convince it to work since then, I even took it apart (what else would I do what it?) in an effort to restore it to health. About 3 or so weeks ago, I declared it offically dead. We had gone from microscopic turning of the mechanism to nothing at all.

Yesterday afternoon, something possessed me to give it another try. I think it had something to do with the food that had been dumped in it and the dishwasher water backing up into the sink. I got down there and started manually turning the assembly again, but not with any of the finesse some of the previous tries had. (I was a little upset, and was taking it out on the disposal. I REALLY wanted the water to flow.) Anyway, right then, Tom came in from work, he was over for dinner and babysitting, and as he walked in, I flipped the switch, and the disposal started working. I was actually kind of suprised. And glad.

The assembly normally turned counter-clockwise. (Do disposals run clockwise in Australlia?) The counter-clockwise direction has always felt like it spun ok. The clockwise direction also spun, but maybe not as good. After jerking it back and forth numerous times yesterday, suddenly the clockwise direction was kind of stiff. I worked it out of it, then checked the counter-clockwise direction, and presto: It worked.

I had thought the motor had burned out or something. Not that I'm complaining. Since our theme for Sacrament meeting today was tithing, I'll chalk it up to that.

No comments: