Saturday, April 05, 2008

Final travel log from the trip

Thursday night, we went around looking for a place to eat. Jess found a NY Times article from a couple of years ago that talked about places NYC chefs go to eat when they are not in the city. (Stuff sort of near us in New Jersey.) A couple of the places we had been to already.
We went looking for one place, but we couldn't find it. (We had the address, and drive to where it was supposed to be, but it wasn't there.)

After we couldn't find the place, we started looking at others. We had the address for a Thai place, but Gale can't tolerate spicy food. (He can't tolerate cheese, KFC was too spicy for him, that sort of thing.) We figured Thai was out. Jess kind of wanted to go to a Japanese Hibachi place, there were a number of them out there. The first one we went to gave me sticker shock, we left and went looking for somewhere else. I got over the sticker shock, Jess was kind of upset, he really wanted to go. We found another, and went in, but Gale was unwilling to pay $20 something dollars for dinner. This really upset Jess, I drove the 2 of them out to the Tick Tock Diner, which seemed acceptable to them both.

On Friday, we had an hour of lecture, the lab involved a trouble shooting section, where a script broke the fail over tool a number of different ways, you had to fix them after each different bug was introduced. This wasn't all that hard, I took an hour, then Jess took an hour.

We left at lunchtime, the class was done. Our flight wasn't supposed to leave until 5pm. We went up to the KMart we knew about, I got Tara a Yankees jersey, and the girls each a tee ball baseball.

We figured we could find a place to eat on the way to the airport, but neither Jess or Gale picked a place before we passed it. We ended up just driving in to the airport. (Newark.) The airport was fairly not busy when we got there, which wasn't a bad thing. They had a number of places to eat in the main terminal, but the only one that sounded ok was Chili's, Jess and I ended up both eating there.

I don't know what it is about the service in Chili's located at airports. I always have poor service at these things. I don't know why. I wonder if it's Chili's corporate policy is to make sure there are slow servers at their airport restaurants. The one at Newark airport appears to be no different. The food was ok, I had fajitas, the meat should have been just a little bit more cooked. I guess the good thing is that we had plenty of time to sit there.

Our flight got delayed, there were big problems with weather in Atlanta that made lots of things late. There was supposed to be a flight coming in from Atlanta and back out at our gate before our flight, but the plane from Atlanta didn't take off until about 1/2 hour before we were supposed to go. The lady at the gate was having a bad day. She kept making announcements telling people what was going on, and kept asking all the Atlanta passengers to stay seated so she could get the Salt Lake City people taken care of. People kept coming up asking about the Atlanta flight. Things like "Where is the Atlanta flight?", "Is this an aisle seat", "What kind of food will be available on the Atlanta flight?", and "Is there a movie on the Atlanta flight?" It was driving her absolutely nuts.

We finally got on the flight, but as we were boarding, there were people standing all around the gate. There were dozens of people standing around, but were not in line to get on the plane. (Atlanta bound people.) I got in line when my zone was called, but it ended up not being the line. I had to weave my way around a bunch of people to get onto the plane. It was kind of a zoo.

The flight was supposed to be totally full, when I checked online, the seat next to me was sold, but I ended up having an empty seat next to me. (Good thing) The plane was one of the old Song planes, so it had personal TVs in the back of each seat. The thing included TV, movies, music and games. (Good thing) Because they could, they were charging for all movies. (Bad thing) I didn't pay to watch any movies. It was supposed to be National Treasure book of secrets, but that one is in my Netflix queue, so I will eventually see it. I played the inflight trivia a lot. (Good thing) I ended up winning a number of rounds, I think most of the other rounds were won by the guy sitting across the aisle from me. We only landed 30 minutes late.

There was a family in front of us with a 4 or 5 year old boy. It sounded like the man was a step-father. The little boy was absolutely out of control. He was loud and rude to his parents, any time they tried to get him to behave himself, he would start shouting very rude things to them. Then he would stand up, stand on their laps, and start stomping on them. Then he would jump down and run all the way to the front of the plane. They were absolutely unable to control this kid. It looked like they also got a few bites from their trouble for their efforts...

The girls seemed happy to see I was home this morning. Lily was really happy. The younger girls were a little confused about where I went.

I only gained 4 pounds from all that good food I ate in the last week...

No comments: