Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Soon to be "Old Yankee Stadium"

We got into the city tonight, to go to the Yankees game. We took the subway to up to the stadium, which was an adventure in and of itself. Every train was jam packed with people. Jess and I were waiting for Rob to show up, we saw a lot of people go by. It was kind of fascinating to watch a train jam packed with people pull up, some people get out, and another set of people try to cram back into the train. When we got to go on the train, we kind of just had to turn in circles to get onto the train, with all the people moving around us.

At the game, they had security lines where you had to unzip your jacket, they would make sure you didn't have bottles, and they were checking to make sure all cell phones were real. They were also inspecting It seemed like just a little bit slightly weird set of things to be looking for. Rob had come straight from work, and had his work bag with him. The girl doing the check wouldn't let him in with his bag. She was trying to convince Rob to take the bag home, which wasn't going to happen. Rob eventually got to some sort of bag inspection overlord, and Rob flashed his NYC DA's office badge. This seemed to be the secret code for "You don't need to see what's in my bag, move along..." I'm not sure I've seen Rob pull rank before, but he did a good job at it. (Almost as if he's a practiced hand at it...)

It was kind of cold and windy at the game, but I was wearing a rugby shirt, my black jacket, and my green jacket. I also had a knit hat and a ball cap on. This was a pretty good mix of stuff. It took an hour, but eventually the peanut guy showed up, I left a big pile of ground up peanut shells on the floor of Old Yankee Stadium.

There was a large crowd of rowdies at the very top of the stadium. They got kicked out by the police in the 6th inning. The guy sitting next to me got mustard on the back of his coat from something (pretzel or hot dog bun, I'm not sure which) which was left from the game last night.

A-Rod hit a 2 run homer. Johnny Damon robbed some dude of a home run at the wall. Jason Giambi dove into a television camera trying to get after a foul ball. (I'm always telling those guys in my head that they 'should have dove for it.') There were a couple of nice double plays. The Yankees lost 5 to 2.

After the 7th inning, we left the stadium, let a crowd push us into a subway car, and headed back towards the car.

I can now say I have attended a baseball game at "Old" Yankee Stadium. You have 79 home games left to be able to say that yourself.

No comments: