Friday, January 26, 2007

Flash to the Past

***New feature - where I talk about something had happened to me once***

At the end of my Freshman year of High School, the band teacher moved me from clarinet to Baritone Saxophone. This didn't really have anything in particular to do with my proficency at clarinet, or my rigorous practice schedule. (read: non-existant) I think possibly the biggest factor was that I was big enough to handle the thing.

Anyway, I carried that thing back and forth the school all the time. I guess this was in the hope that I might practice. Early on in my sophmore year, I was walking down the hall with the case, 2 Senior Football players, about a foot taller than me, and twice my size, were coming the other way. The case was kind of big and awkward, and they tried to dodge to get out of the way of it, and they both fell in a heap. (They were in kind of a hurry.) I laughed at them, it was kind of funny, but this seemed to be the wrong thing to do, because I found myself being chased.

After running for my life, I ran out the front door of the school, down the front path to a semi circular drive, and hid behind a car. Luckily, I got behind the car before they came out, they looked around, didn't see me anywhere, and I avoided getting the crap beat out of me. I considered it a positive experience at the time.

Later in the school year, I found myself throwing shotput and discus with these 2 guys on the track team. They seemed to not remember the encounter, and I never brought it up...

No comments: