Thursday, January 04, 2007

So what's the point?


I don't understand the purpose of Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi. We have had a can of this in our refrigerator for some time now. Tara and I just can't bring ourselves to drink it. For Tara, it's a matter of not liking the taste of the "non-sugar" stuff they stick in the drink. For me, it goes much deeper. First of all, drinks should have sugar in them. (Not for all people, I know this. Someday it likely won't be the case for me either...) Now, if I'm drinking soda, and it doesn't have sugar in it, it better have some other little pick me up in it. (That's where the caffeine comes in.) The carbination does funny things with my stomach anyway, so if I'm going to drink it, I don't want to be tired and have gas coming back up after drinking, it's not a good combination. I just don't understand the appeal of a Caffeine Free Diet drink...

5 comments:

~ Amy said...

There is none. You won't find a can of THAT stuff in my fridge. . . unless Mom is coming for a visit.

Mom said...

Ok, just so you know.... I love the taste of Pepsi... nothing else quite does it for me. I don't need the sugar and I can't really handle the caffeine-- makes me tachacardic... So, you don't have to have it in your fridge if you don't like it, except when I come into town.... also, that one is probably really old and won't taste good anyway so you may as well pour it down the sink.

jjp said...

tachycardic? Rapid Heart rate?

We will stock up for you next time you come to visit...

Sorrel Jakins said...

This sounds like blatant anti-diabetic discrimination to me.

Too much caffeine can give one a headache.

~ Amy said...

Hi Sorrel! Yes, but just how much is too much? For instance, an average brew, 12 oz cup of coffee has anywhere between 160-510 mg of caffeine depending on a lot of factors. And pop or excuse me, soda has the following:
Jolt: 71.2 mg, Coke: 45.6mg, Pepsi: 37.2mg, and Barqs: 22.5mg. I knew I liked Coke over Pepsi for a reason...
I for one have never gotten tachycardic from too much caffeine.Yet anyway. And I even drank an entire 2 liter myself one day when Miss M was a few months old. Was the only way to survive the sleep deprivation from a newborn,a toddler, and a husband who was away on business for 3 weeks. Now a whole 2 liter to myself, that sounds a bit piggish, doesn't it? But according to my calculations, that's only 256.88mg of caffeine (about the same as an average cup of coffee) that I ingested throughout the entire day....And no, I didn't have a headache the next day either. The next day I had jolt in the IV. just kidding :)