Friday, January 26, 2007

Sometimes it pays to go back

Yesterday I was working on some machines in the Bookstore. There are 3 of them all in the same rack. I was trying to move a tape drive from one machine to another.

In the rack are 3 machines, 3 DVD ROM drives, 1 Tape Drive, with 3 black cables and 1 white cable, all of which I did not label properly when I put the machines in.

I move the white cable for the tape drive from the one machine to the other yesterday, and then spend 2 hours trying to get it to talk. It was kind of frustrating. The bookstore closes at night, it's not like I could stay there all night to work on it.

This morning, after looking at it from home a little, I decided to go back to the bookstore so I give the server a proper cursing out. It turns out that the white cable was not connected to the tape drives, it was connected to one of the DVD drives. I had hooked 2 DVDs to the same server and didn't notice. Shortly after, everything was recabled so that the white cable went to the Tape Drive, and the 3 Black cables went to the 3 DVD drives. The tape drive works perfectly now, but I still haven't got labels on anything...

No comments: