Monday, December 17, 2007

Adventures in eating

It turns out that it's nearly impossible to eat fast food without getting sugar or flour in it. I know, I have tried. The other day, I got plain rice from one place, and a Whopper Jr with no mayo or ketchup. I took the bun off the Whopper, and stuck it in the rice. Disgusting you say? Not really, it actually tasted pretty good, and no one was watching me do it anyway.

I went back to the store a few nights ago to take a closer look at things. It's not like you can run out in the middle of the day to cook a full meal every day, so I was looking for something to eat. Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with chips and salsa every day, but some occasional variety would be nice, and when chips and salsa doesn't fill you up, it can be hard to just eat more chips and salsa, especially when you run out of salsa.

What did I find? I found some weird little rye crackers. They have caraway seeds on them. I found that Triscuits are ok to eat, and found out Thursday that I really like the cracked pepper and olive oil triscuits. I found some whole wheat pasta, which I haven't tried yet, and something called Polenta. Polenta looks like it's some sort of corn based pasta thing from Italy, the packaging says it is popular in the North of Italy. (Rob? Is this stuff any good?) I haven't tried it yet, but the package says you can cook it just about any way you want - bake, fry, boil, grill, microwave, hot air dryer...)

I go in to see the doctor on Thursday. I'm hoping he will let me start adding fruits back into my diet. In the meantime, I crossed below 210 this week. I've actually lost enough weight that a number of people at church have started commenting about it. I know I look like I've lost weight (how could you not, when you lose 20 pounds in 3 1/2 months?), but I didn't think I looked like I had lost that much. I guess that's something. Either that or they noticed that I am constantly having to pull my pants up. I have only one belt that will even keep my pants on me, and it doesn't always do all that good a job. I'm not even going to try to put my suit pants on at this point, they were already too big on me, and would start to fall when I stood up too fast, that was a month ago. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get them to stay up anymore. I need to get them altered before Missy's wedding... (Clown cloths. That's the secret to making people think you have lost weight. Just wear clothes that are way too big on you...)

2 comments:

Mom said...

Grandpa Poker called polenta "Mush". He ate it all the time, fried in butter or bacon grease....

Anonymous said...

polenta is not my favorite, although i have eaten it before.

rob