Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Hidden Taxes

Our neighborhood is starting our overnight parking restrictions on January 1. A couple of weeks ago, we got a letter from the city licensing division telling us we needed to send in a copy of our county tax notice, fill out a paper, and send in our money. (The money is the sticking point here. The thing started because the residents wanted to have the city enforce the housing code. The city was willing to start a parking program. Then they wanted to charge us for it.)

Anyway, it being less than 3 weeks away, I figured it was time to fill out the paperwork. I briefly toyed with the idea of putting in some sort of snide remark on the check, but then decided it could delay the processing of my application, and didn't want to risk it.

I went to find a stamp, and found a sheet of Star Wars stamps. My one measure of consolation in the whole thing is that I stuck an Emperor Palpatine stamp on the envelope. I think it's hilarious.