Thursday, December 06, 2007

Restaurant Review & "The play's the thing"

Last Thursday evening, Tara and I went out to eat and out to a play. (This is the play that I exchanged tickets for a couple of weeks ago.)

While Tara was getting ready to go, I was trying to figure out where I could go to go out to eat. Most restaurants don't have a nutritional guide on their website. (Is it some sort of Federal law that they need to provide a nutritional guide upon request?) You can find them for places like KFC, Taco Bell, Panda Express, McDonald's, that sort of thing, but those are the types of places that have nothing on their menu that I should be eating. It's kind of frustrating not having the nutritional guide, even places like Teriaki Stix don't have a nutritional guide, but the problem is that I don't know what's in their sauces, or even what they do to their meat.

We ended up going to The Smokehouse, which is a BBQ type place. The waitress was nice, she was fairly patient with my annoying diet questions. I'd ask questions, she'd run to the back to ask someone about how things were cooked. I don't know if it was the owner or what. (It's a local place.) I ended up having the brisket platter, which was good. (No BBQ sauce, though.)

The play we saw was "Little Women." The play was good, but it was really a musical. (Based on the hit Broadway play!) It wasn't our normal day or seats, we were only a row back from where we normally sit. Right next to us, there was a guy and a girl, the guy had the "Most Annoying Laugh Ever". (I'm sure he's won a prize.) His laugh was loud, forced, and pretty fake. The people around us started mocking him, but he appeared to be oblivious to it. (One of those people.) At one point, he was telling the girl about another girl he was dating, he ended up breaking up with her after going ring shopping with her. (Something about the type of ring she wanted was too expensive. I'm sure there's more to that story, and I'm sure I don't want to hear it. Either way, it wasn't the kind of story that I would have ever told a girl I was trying to impress...)

Back to the play. I think the theatre department learned their lesson a few years ago when they had a string of heavy depressing plays in a row. We, along with a bunch of other season ticket holders jumped ship and didn't renew our tickets. At one point, I got several letters, did a survey, that sort of thing, they eventually came back apologizing to everyone, and promising to go forward with better choices. Since then, I don't think they've had a bad play. (Even if I try to avoid the musicals... I didn't know this one was a musical until we were walking in, but it was more like a play with music. I guess that's what a Broadway play is.)

Next up is "A Midsummer Night's Dream", I think. I keep thinking it is supposed to be Henry V, for some reason, so I might get surprised again when we go. (Maybe I should just add Henry V to my Netflix queue to get it out of my system...)

No comments: