Friday, December 21, 2007

Getting sidetracked at work

The other day, I was talking about the game "Digger." After finishing that post (it was about 2:30 in the morning then) you would think I would have gone to bed. Did I? Of course not. I went looking for a linux port for "Digger". I found the source code fairly quickly, but it would not compile that night, and I was just too tired to figure it out.
I came back to it after lunch today, and got the thing compiled and working. Well, mostly working. right now it didn't save your high scores after you close the app (I fixed that one), and the sound is not working, but the game runs just like I remember it, except the color is lots nicer than our old monochrome monitor we used to play it on. (For hours at a time.) I kind of miss the little noise it makes when you fire at the monsters, but I will get it figured out at some point.

I'm not as good at it as I used to be, but that will come in time. (Like over this weekend.)

It looks like they have a Windows version of the thing if anyone is interested...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will hold you in the highest regard forever if you can get the sound working in Linux! This Christmas we are fondly remembering the digger tournaments that occupied us for hours in days of yore.

I was forced to pull out an old XP box and load WinDig --- playing it on my Linux machine (ubuntu for my first foray into linux) without the sound just didn't feel the same!

Be sure and post your progress!
Suzanne
Fort Nelson BC Canada