Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Playing with Google Earth


This is the track at my old high school. It looks a lot different it did back when I was there, but so does the school itself. The track when I was there was basically a dirt track. This seems to be something at least intentional, or at least cared for.

I think it's bigger than it used to be. The jump lane for the long jump looks like it's in the same place, but that used to be outside the track, not inside. The shot put and discus circles (where I spent my time) used to be above that. I think the shot put and discus circles now are the 2 squares on the left hand side of the picture. The discus one appears to have a cage around it. I wonder if someone had to get hit in the head before they put the cage up. I certainly came close one or 2 times back in my day... I did once break someone's foot with a shot put, but I never did too much real damage with the discus.

That's me playing with Google Earth. What's the other thing I found in it tonight? If you look around, once in a while, while zoomed pretty far in, you can find a dot marking the map. (light orange? amber? I don't really know the color.) The dot will have a date or partial date on it. (Like "1973-4-?") Expanding the thing will say it's a Bigfoot sighting, and gives you a link to the article. I guess it's something to keep you looking at it, although it appears the entire town of Lancaster, CA got kind of excited about things back in 1973. My guess is that it was hot then, people get crazy up there in the heat.

1 comment:

Tommy said...

Oh yeah, my junior year they put a ton of money into the school. Some of it went into the track and field. We couldn't use it for a year but after that it was way freaking sweet. One of the best tracks I have ever been on. Maybe because it was new?