Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Driving in the car pool lane

AKA "Why I don't commute"

This morning (6:30 "boy it's early" am) I took Grandma Oaks, Amy and Darren to the airport. I thought traffic wouldn't be too terribly bad being that early, but as soon as we hit the car pool lane, we ended up with a never ending stream of knuckleheads behind us. Several decided it was a good idea to tailgate in the lane. These were both people who didn't actually have more than one person in the car. They seem to have figured that the car pool lane was a good open place to go 90 miles an hour. Unfortunately for them, I don't get intimidated, they ended up having to merge out to pass.

After them, the next guy came up on us, and kept flashing his brights to try to get us out of the HOV lane so he could pass. I didn't flinch. After 4 or 5 attempts, he gave up and pulled out of the HOV lane and went around us.

Now, I wasn't exactly going slow. I don't know what the hurry was for everyone this morning, but I had cruise on and paid them little heed. It was just kind of odd. It's a little like there are now roaming packs of idiot drivers wandering around out there looking for trouble on the freeway. Too bad I'm only on the freeway here a few times a year...

No comments: