Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday Night Game night


Tonight we had Sam, Tisha, and Amber over to play Ticket to Ride. Sam ended up winning, beating me by 1 point. Nice job Sam.

For dessert, we had apple pie. I decided to put caramel on the plate, with burnt almond fudge ice cream. (My mom bought the ice cream, but didn't take it home with her, so we used it.) The caramel took a long time to melt in the little double boiler I made, so I stuck it in the oven, but turned the oven on too high, which was nearly a mistake. The caramel ended up being a mistake anyway, because we ended up with giant blobs of hard caramel on the plates.

The pie was good, I got to have some tonight, the first real treat since Thanksgiving. How I made the pie:

Ingredients:

Pie shells from the store
3 apples, 5 different varieties. (There were 5 different varieties on sale this week at the store.)
sugar (enough to cover the apples)
lemon juice or Tara's fruit freshener
cinnamon
nutmeg
allspice
butter pats

Directions:

Peel, core, and slice all apples. Stick in a bowl, add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice to bowl, mix all around to cover completely with the stuff. Add the lemon juice (or Tara's fruit freshener) to keep the apples from going brown. Toss apples into a colander, place over a bowl. Allow apples to sit for 90 minutes, the apples will reduce, apple juice will drip out of the colander into the bowl. After the time is up, take the juice, and boil it down until it gets tacky.

Put pie shell in a pie tin or pie glass or whatever. (I looked around for a tart pan but couldn't find one this week.) Fill the shell with apples. When I say fill it, I mean get as many apples as physically possible in the thing. Put the butter pats on top, place another pie shell on the top, seal the edges. Cut slits in the pie shell, brush the top of the shell with the apple drippings that you boiled down.

Cook for 45 minutes on 425 degrees. Allow to cool for as long as you possibly can. (I only made it 2 hours...)

No comments: