Sunday, February 17, 2008

Wedding stuff

Missy got married yesterday. (To Steve.) Before the wedding I had a great idea for the reception. I made them a new blog, took my camera & laptop, and took pictures of people and had them write Missy and Steve a message. People seemed to take to it ok, but they seemed easily entertained. You can see the posts yourself.

When I got to the church for the reception, there were some guys playing ball in there. I walked in and told them they were done. They talked about how they knew about the primary activity, were not bothering them, and had talked to Sister Boren. They knew a wedding was happening, said they had talked to someone and would be helping to set up for the wedding.

I told them again they were done and wouldn't be helping, one guy had turned to look at me, then turned around and said "What's the score?" They figured it was 7 to 5, and kept playing. It was at this point I decided they wouldn't be even bouncing the ball another time, much less playing more. I walked over, and told them they were done, and needed to leave now. Some dude turned to protest, I didn't let him and told them again they were done and wouldn't be playing basketball again. Some other guy started getting excited about things, wanted to raise a stink. They spent about another 45 seconds protesting until it was perfectly clear they had to leave. A few of them were upset, one tried to demand for an apology. He didn't get his apology.

Now, I was perfectly ready to use any means necessary to remove them from the building. We've had problems at the Stake center with ball players muscling people out, not scheduling the building, being there all times of the day and night, that sort of thing. There was no way they were going to bully us into letting them stick around while we tried to set up. We had something like $1000 in food, and $10,000 in electronic equipment there, both of which didn't really coexist well with basketball. After the ball players left, Drew didn't want to commit to what he would have helped out with had a fight started, but I'm sure had they started a fight, the basketball hoops in the Stake center would have been taken down, and everyone would have lost the privilege going forward. That's how close things are now.

It worked out ok, I let their Bishop know I kicked them out, the reception went well, from what I could tell.

No comments: