Thursday, February 05, 2009

25 Random things about me

It's the Facebook sensation that's sweeping the nation! Posting it here on my blog, it will automatically import to Facebook. Technology. Isn't it great?

  1. I have broken a number of bones in my body, not all at once - shattered left ankle, cracked rib, both hands, left elbow, left clavicle, and a near miss on my right chin - but nothing in the past 5 years or so.
  2. I have 6 kids - 5 girls, and a new model, a baby boy.
  3. I have fibromyalgia. Every day has some measure of pain somewhere. It's not so bad lately, but it has been really bad in the past.
  4. I have had very little sugar in the past 16 months. I have also not been able to get breads into my diet in the past 16 months. (Because of #3)
  5. I used to like the taste of Dr. Pepper. Now I can't drink it, it is too sweet for me. (See #4) Now I drink Diet Dr. Pepper when I get a chance. It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper, as you might know.
  6. I have sleep apnea. I use a BiPap, I should use it every night, but I don't always.
  7. I was not a good student in college. There was always something else to be done, rather than go to class. I took a number of classes over a second time. I did poorly enough that they kicked me out for a year. I eventually graduated, but it took 9 years.
  8. I have never smoked, drank alcohol of any kind, done drugs, or even had a drink of coffee. And yet my body continues to pick on me.
  9. Former jobs - mall Easter bunny, night school copy boy, 3 different paper routes, dishwasher, kitchen help at Scout camp, Wendy's dude, worked for a general contractor one summer, computer operator, grunt on a framing crew, and I once made five bucks from my uncle for eating a jalapeƱo. Current job, and the one that stuck - Unix systems engineer.
  10. The one person I can count on to appreciate my cooking is my wife. Maybe that is because it is the two of us and six little kids in the house. Or maybe she is just humoring me...
  11. My wife approves my wardrobe. That is for the best, really.
  12. They shouldn't let me have the root password to my laptop. I do stuff to the operating system that I shouldn't do. Two weeks ago, I was fiddling with the print system, and made it so that I can't print to USB connected printers. Haven't had the time to fix it yet.
  13. I void warrentees.
  14. I spent two years in Southern California serving a mission for my church.
  15. I like to do more than one thing at once. Right now, I am watching TV, working on this little thing, patching servers at work, and thinking about what to do about this server that keeps crashing. If something is really complex, I might zero in on it for a while, but only until I figure the problem out. (I think I just got that one server to stop panicing and boot up. Sweet.)
  16. I'm kind of boring sometimes.
  17. I like to garden. Mostly because the veggies taste better right out of the garden.
  18. I get tired of the layout of a room from time to time, and have to rearraign everything. My wife thinks this only happens at 10pm on a Sunday.
  19. I like to build things. I need to get better at it so it looks more professionally done sometimes, but I keep trying.
  20. I cycle between reading voraciously and reading nothing. Comic cooks included.
  21. I would rather watch DVR recording or Netflix DVDs over live TV. You can skip the channels that way.
  22. I prefer casual games over first person shooters.
  23. I can be a home body.
  24. I remember only a few fleeting things before the age of 5. I don't remember a lot of things from age 5 to maybe age 10. My brothers and sisters have stories that I just don't remember. It's not all gone, but there are definitely holes. I don't know why. More recent memories seem to be more completely intact, but I think there are holes all over the place. My head is just kind of swiss cheese for some reason. I have clear details on other stuff in my head. Maybe it is just selective, I don't know.
  25. I don't really like shoveling snow. I think I did enough for one lifetime back in high school. My parents bought a snow blower after I left the house...
I definitely fixed that one server, time to finish up here so I can go to bed. Here's the silly facebook 'rules' for this note:

If you are tagged here, do your own '25 random things' note. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You should tag me in your note, so I get a notification that you did it, and make sure to read your '25 things.'

(To do this, go to “notes” under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)

1 comment:

Uncle Rick said...

Hey JJ, What is happening, Congratulations on the "NEW MODEL" How old is he? Which Uncle bet you on the pepper? I seem to remember something about that. But it's been a while back. It is awful when you get old and forgetfull.