Saturday, February 28, 2009

House drawings

I think I finished drawings for the current layout of the main floor of the house. There is no plumbing listed, and I didn't really put in the cabinets and appliances in the kitchen, but those are not expected to change right now. Here is what I have got: (You might have to click the image to really see what it looks like.)


I did a mock up of some of the changes to make on the main floor. It's not exactly complete, but the general idea is there:


I did 2 drawings of the potential 2nd floor, which only sits on the main part of the house. These are missing things like outlets, switches, and air ducts, among other things. I also kind of want to put in a solar reflective skylight somewhere in the middle part above the stairs, to let light in during the day. The first drawing:


I think I like the second layout better, it has a couple of more things we might want, really:


One of the nice things about the second layout is that if we someday decided that we wanted to extend the second floor over the addition in the back, we could just make bedroom 4 a little smaller, and it's accompanying closet space, and we would have a spot for a hallway into over the addition. Right now we are looking for the right amount of space, not tons of space, and I don't think we can really afford putting up a full second floor and also make the changes to the first floor. The thing in the back left corner is a space for the girls to go do their hair, make up, or whatever. It is basically counter space with a giant mirror. (Tara's idea, a good one with the number of girls in this house.) Bedroom 2 is kind of skinny, but for a while it can be used for little kids. And maybe be something else another day. (Like a guest room with plenty of windows, a nice view, that sort of thing.) Comments? Questions? See a room you want named after yourself?

4 comments:

~ Amy said...

I like the 2nd layout. On the changes to the first floor, the space with a ?, you need to make it a broom/vacuum closet if it is big enough. I wish I had one of those here. Sorry, no moulah to get something named after me.

Pro Payne said...

I like the 2nd layout too. The room with mirrors and under counter drawers is a brilliant idea. I also ditto Amy's suggestion re a broom closet. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't wish I had one. I might consider at least a cosmetic re-do of the kitchen... primer and paint don't cost all that much and with the right color on the cabinets, would make a huge difference.... just a thought.

Kaylyn said...

What [freeware?] did you use to put together the layouts?

jjp said...

Microsoft Visio. Not freeware..